Thursday 16 March 2017

PLN’s: Professional Growth vs. Burn-out

PLN’s:  Professional Growth vs. Burn-out

I have been on Twitter for a couple of years but have not been utilizing it to its full potential as a PLN.  I sort of check it out when I have time and have followed some educators from my board and a few educational or news hashtags.  I know Twitter is a very powerful tool for building PLN’s and this assignment is a good opportunity to begin using it more effectively.  A friend and colleague of mine uses it to post student work from her classroom, and to seek out assistance from her network of contacts for various issues or questions her students have (like expert lists).  She also connects with other classrooms to give her students a chance to collaborate.  

I also have had this blog (http://erinexploringedtech.blogspot.ca/) for a couple of years that I rarely write in and have never really shared on social media.  I could begin sharing my learning and experiences with others on Twitter rather than passively reading and “favouriting” posts of others.  I have already learned a lot from my current practice of “checking it out whenever”, but if I made a conscious effort to choose a post each day to thoroughly read and reflect upon, I think I could transform my practice that way.

I do not want to commit to a specific group who expects me to contribute regularly.  I prefer to participate when I have time.  I also have a PLN group within my school who work on following the Professional Learning Cycle as a means to improve Critical Thinking Skills in our students so I do not have time for another commitment.  I can definitely commit to reading a post every day and reflecting on whether or not I will implement the information in my practice.  I will blog about my thoughts and discoveries, but will only post my blog when I feel I have a post that others would benefit from reading.

I just started following some of these people and groups on Twitter.  A few I had already been following.  I think these will keep me busy for a while!

@GoogleForEdu
@Alice Keeler
#edtechteam
#googleclassroom
@BringIT2017
#bit17
@CBC news
@Global News
@CTV News

I am also part of Teach Ontario which is a wonderful online community where teachers share, create and explore professional learning.  I was part of a TLLP 4 years ago and worked with my group to share our learning and experiences on this platform. Sadly, I have not been an active participant since then as life as a full time teacher, mother, coach and wife does not afford me much time to indulge in PLN’s.  So while I am aware of the many professional benefits of participating in PLN’s, I strongly feel it has to be on terms that work for me. Planning and delivering good lessons and providing timely feedback to the students I have in front of me every day has to be my top priority.  Daily participation in a PLN is simply too much to ask.  Teachers need to give themselves permission to enjoy their daily lives with their families and friends.  We are no good to our students and colleagues if we are burnt out trying to keep up with our daily teaching duties and then feeling pressured to contribute to a PLN.  That is just how I feel.  Sorry.  Not sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment